Dementia ward

More
9 years 3 months ago #332 by sarniem
Dementia ward was created by sarniem
Rowan Ward at Prospect Park Hospital is a 20 bed dementia ward and we have implemented all the interventions, some with slight modifications due to the nature of the patients. Our disharge tree and softwords poster are bright and colourful to complement our newly decorated ward. Attached are pictures, we hope you like them.

Attachments:
More
9 years 3 months ago #333 by len.bowers@kcl.ac.uk
Replied by len.bowers@kcl.ac.uk on topic Dementia ward
Wow, that is brilliant.

I think that makes you the first older persons ward to fully implement Safewards. Which in turn makes you a world leading ward!

Can you tell us more about which interventions you have modified and how? That information will be very helpful to others.

Len
More
9 years 3 months ago #334 by samlouise
Replied by samlouise on topic Dementia ward
Congratulations Rowan Ward!

Orchid ward, also at Prospect Park Hospital, is a functional Older Adult ward. We have also implemented all 10 interventions, with some minor adaptations.

I am hoping that we have achieved second place??!! (Will upload photo's soon!)

Sam (OTA orchid ward)
The following user(s) said Thank You: len.bowers@kcl.ac.uk
More
9 years 3 months ago #335 by len.bowers@kcl.ac.uk
Replied by len.bowers@kcl.ac.uk on topic Dementia ward
Hi Sam,

It looks like second place is yours. Prospect Park Hospital is clearly a happening place :cheer:

It would be great if you could post exactly what adaptions you have made (as well as the pictures of course).

Congratulations.

Len
More
9 years 3 months ago #337 by sarniem
Replied by sarniem on topic Dementia ward
Well done Sam, we can have joint 1st.

Hi Len
Sam and I have shared ideas and supported each other, so I cannot claim the top spot for Rowan :)
Also I am typing up some descriptions of our adaptations and including some pictures asap.
Thanks
Sandra
The following user(s) said Thank You: GBrennan
More
9 years 3 months ago #338 by sarniem
Replied by sarniem on topic Dementia ward
Hi Len
So sorry I took so long to get back to you about our modifications, but finally have typed it up and taken pics for you too. :)

The modifications we have made for our Older Adults with Dementia are as follows…

Know each other folder: This is kept in the cupboard behind reception. Due to the nature of our patients, it cannot be put out in reception as our more unwell patients may take it away or damage it without supervision. However posters are in reception area, inside AND outside the main door saying… Please ask to see our Know Each Other Folder. We have also included pictures of the staff on their sheets, to aid the patients who have difficulty remembering names of the staff. See picture attached.

Discharge Message Tree: we ask carers or relatives for a message, on behalf of the patients who are unable to give a positive message themselves. Also the tree is a comfort to new patients AND their loved ones.

Calm Down Box: we have included a couple of sleeping Petz, these are a dog and a cat that appears to breath while curled up asleep. We also have colourful Japanese style fans (for when a patient may be hot and bothered) and soft, snuggly blanket if they are feeling cold. A book of best loved poems and some squishy stress balls, amongst other things. See picture attached.

We have a check list of all the interventions that should be ticked off at handover, to ensure that temporary staff are aware of all the interventions.

Bad news Mitigation and Reassurance: we have created a guidance sheet for each, they also have a comments section for staff to add any outcomes/thoughts/comments when giving support. See picture attached.

Mutual Help Meetings: are included in our weekly community meetings. These are usually held on a 1:1 basis due to the differing cognitive levels of the patients on this ward. Any concerns the patient may have are bought to the Nursing staff’s attention, also the patients are all reminded weekly about Safewards and often shown again the getting to know each other folder.

I think that is it, thank you for your kind words and I will checking the Facebook page for more ideas.
Thanks
Sandra
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GBrennan
  • Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds